Turkish Gozleme with Lamb, baby spinach and fetta is a hit at every market. This dish is brilliant for family meal planning. You can make the dough over the weekend. It stores for 5 days in the fridge, it will make the gozleme or provide a fantastic pizza base.
The gozleme lamb mince is as easy to make as a bolognese. It also is easy to store and then create a hit meal in just a few minutes. Cooked gozleme also makes great lunches. Wrap in foil, store in the fridge and reheat in a sandwich maker – just don’t squash it. Do not forget the lemon wedges and serve with some chilli flakes.
Turkish Gozleme with lamb, baby spinach and fetta
- Large frypan or flat grill plate / barbeque
- 2 1/4 cup flour plain
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yoghurt Greek plain
- 1/2 cup water
- 500 g lamb mince
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 long red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, or plain
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp pepper, ground black
- 40 g baby spinach
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh flat leaf, chopped
- 1/2 cup fetta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lemon, zest for the lamb and wedges to serve
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and stir in the yogurt and water. Continue mixing with a spoon until everything is well combined. If the dough is too dry adjust by adding a bit more water, start with a tablespoon at a time.
- Flour your work surface and knead the dough for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel and set aside.
- In a medium frypan, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the chopped onion, chilli, ginger and garlic. Saute onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the lamb mince to the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5 minutes, until browned. Add the zest from the whole lemon. Stir in the tomato paste, coriander, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Add a dash of water and stir everything together and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the parsley then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- In the meantime divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll into 4 balls. Take the first one and use a rolling pin to roll it into a rectangle that’s about 30cm×20cm inches.
- Lay out a bed of baby spinach to cover one half of the rectangle (dough) and crumble the fetta over the top. Spoon about 3 tbsp of the lamb mixture and spread it out a bit. Fold the other half of the dough over the top and seal the edges.
- Carefully add the first gozleme parcel to the hot pan/plate – turning after around 2 to 4 minutes. Repeat the process to make each gozleme. Watching the one you have on the hot-plate, turning and removing as required, while preparing the next.
- Store the gozleme on a tray in a warm oven, while the full batch are being cooked. Cut each gozleme in half diagonally and serve with lemon wedges and olives.
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.