- oven dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrots, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 kg beef mince, lean, mince
- 500 grams pork mince, or turkey mince
- 700 ml Passata
- 410 g tomatoes can, diced, can, diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 beef stock, , crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, fresh, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, , (if desired)
- salt and pepper to season, , season to your tastes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour plain, plain
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or grated, fresh shredded
- 375 grams lasagna sheets, fresh
- 500 grams mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dry, finely chopped fresh
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add in the onion and carrots and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until softened. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add beef and pork (if using) and cook while breaking it up with the end of your spoon, until browned.
- Pour in the Passata, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed bouillon and dried herbs. Mix well to combine and bring to a gentle simmer. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 teaspoon each) and sugar if needed. Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes, occasionally mixing, until the sauce has thickened slightly and meat is tender.
- Adjust salt, pepper and dried herbs to your taste.
Parmesan White Sauce
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from hot plate; add the flour and whisk for about 30 seconds, or until well blended.
- Place pot back onto stove, reduce heat down to low and slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk until well combined. Once well blended, add the remaining milk in 1 cup increments, mixing well after each addition, until all the milk is used and sauce is free from lumps. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk until it turns into a nice and creamy consistency.
- Increase heat to medium and continue cooking sauce while stirring occasionally until it thickens (about 6-7 minutes) and coats the back of your wooden spoon.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and mix until the cheese is melted through.
- Preheat oven to 180°C | 350°F
- Spoon about 1 cup of meat sauce on the base of a large baking dish, then cover with lasagna sheets. (Trim sheets to fit over the meat if needed.) Layer with 2 cups of meat sauce (or enough to cover pasta), 1 cup of white sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers (leaving the remaining cheese for the top).
- Pour the remaining meat sauce and white sauce over the last layer of lasagna sheets and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.