Sweet and Sour Pork is one of Australia’s favourite takeaway Chinese meals. Once you master this recipe, you will make it at home in not much more time than it takes to order for delivery.
Sweet and Sour Pork
- 600 g Pork Neck / Scotch / Collar Butt, , chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 egg/s
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Sauce, ketchup
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- ½ cup Pineapple, tinned, use most/all the juice from the can of pineapple pieces in juice
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Oyster Sauce
- ¾ cup oil, (500 mL)
- 1 cup cornflour, (100 g)
- 1 tsp Garlic, fresh, crushed
- ½ green capsicum, chopped
- ½ Red Capsicum, chopped
- ⅔ cup Pineapple, tinned, (150 g)
- 1 sml White Onions, &/or spring onion, sliced roughly
- First thing is to cube and season the pork with white pepper and a little salt. Then combine all PREP ingredients in a bowl with the pork. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge 20 minutes or so, while you prepare the other ingredients
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce, and mix well
- To shallow fry, place the corn flour in a large bowl and toss the marinated pork chunks until liberally coated.
- In a wok, get the oil hot – then shallow fry the coated pork pieces in small batches for about 3-4 minutes until the coating is golden brown and the pork is cooked throughout. Set aside.
- Drain most of the oil from shallow-frying into a tin to cool – perhaps use the pinapple tin – see note. Use the wok to lighlty sauté the garlic, then quickly add the capsicum, onion/spring onion. Turn up the heat and toss for about a minute.
- Add in the pineapple and warm through, then add the sauce and heat until it starts to bubble.
- Add the pork to the frying pan and coat everything evenly in the sauce.
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.