Rolled chicken roast with vegetables
This meal uses the great foods that are available from our local provedores and supermarkets. The quality and range of pre-prepared fresh produce that is widely available makes home meal preparation much easier, providing top quality dinners with relatively simple processes in the kitchen.This dinner requires less than 20 minutes to wash, trim and set out the vegetables. You can make a simple sauce or gravy with the juices, or even perhaps purchase something pre-made if you want to. Get it in the oven, add the different vegetables at the appropriate time. Enjoy healthy, wholesome family food at around just $4.50 per serve.
- oven dish
- 1 whole Rolled Chicken Roast, around 1 kg, stuffed
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced in quarters
- 1 large red onion, or any colour, cut into wedges
- 300 g Pumpkin, 4cm chunks
- 3 medium carrots, quartered
- 300 g broccoli, cut to florets
- Turn the oven to 200°C. Place the oven tray in the oven.
- Unpack the chicken from all packaging, leaving the binding or netting on (until serving). Dry the meat down with a paper towel, and let it sit while the oven heats and you prepare the potatoes.
- Peal and slice the potatoes and the onions. Take out the oven tray, oil the base a little. Arrange the chicken in the centre with the potatoes and onion around the outside. Season with pepper and salt, drizzle with olive oil and get it in the oven. Set the timer to 30 minutes.
- Next peal and cut the pumpkin and other vegetables. Cover with a clean tea towel then tidy your workspace and relax until the timer goes off – then remove the oven tray and add the pumpkin. Sprinkle all ingredients with dried rosemary and thyme, then drizzle with olive oil. Return the tray to the oven and set the timer to 20 minutes – at which point you will turn all the vegetables and add the carrot and broccoli, coating them with a little olive oil.
- Now set the timer for 20 minutes (making a total roasting time of 70 minutes for the chicken and potatoes). At the end of the final 20 minutes, check the internal temperature of the chicken with a thermometer. It should be 65°C to 70°C and the juices run clear.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Place the chicken on a plate or carving tray and cover with foil. Turn the oven off. Keep the vegetables warm on a plate in the oven while you carve the chicken.
- At this point you can go ahead and serve, or add the tray to the stove-top on medium heat, mix a tablespoon of flour into the oil and juices, mix it into a paste. Add about 200 ml of wine, chicken stock or water and stir to form a light sauce. Stir while the sauce heats, adding more liquid as required to a reasonable consistancy. Then carve the chicken and serve with the vegatables and sauce.
Calories: 669kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 72gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 59mgPotassium: 1440mgFiber: 8gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 11601IUVitamin C: 105mgCalcium: 84mgIron: 3mg
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.