Pico de Gallo is a classic Mexican salsa. Flavours of chilli and lime with tomatoes and onion. It is the ideal accompaniment in a taco, burrito, or with any Mexican dish. The lime juice calms the onions and helps to balance the flavours.
Pico de Gallo
- kitchen knife
- 2 tomatoes, vine-ripened
- 1/2 White Onions, or red
- 1 Jalapeno chillies or green chillies
- 1/2 bunch coriander fresh
- 1 lime, for juice
- Give the tomatoes, jalapeno, and cilantro a good rinse. Peel the onion and de-stem the tomatoes and jalapeno. Twist off and discard the bottom portions of the coriander stems, but keep the upper portion of the stems that hold the leaves together.
- Finely chop the 2 tomatoes, ½ onion, and jalapeno into small chunks. Finely dice the coriander. Start with only ½ of the jalapeno and then add more incrementally if you want more heat.
- Combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno and coriander in a mixing bowl. Add a ¼ teaspoon of salt and the juice of a single lime. Mix together well and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and lime if necessary.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.