Maggie Beer Eggplant Cannellini Bean Caponata with Butternut Pumpkin and Cheese
This is not really a recipe, let's call it a meal idea. The image shows Butternut pumpkin stuffed with a bolognese-style beef mince, which is a great meal when you have bolognese in the freezer. But what if you just want a simple meal using only a few ingredients, or you need a side to accompany a different meat dish, like steak?This meal idea combines high-quality food from an esteemed chef and food aficionado, Maggie Beer, with just over a dollar's worth of butternut pumpkin, some microwave brown rice quinoa, and some cheese.Taste it, tweak it to suit your preference, but if you are looking for inspiration to substitute meat and potatoes, you can add this to your kitchen repertoire.It is a vegetarian meal for two, or a wonderful side for steak, ribs, roast chicken . . . pulled pork . . . we could keep going.
- oven dish
- 1 pack Maggie Beer Eggplant Cannellini Bean Caponata, 270g (could not find this product at Woolworths)
- 1 pack Quinoa and Brown rice, precooked, 240g microwave pack
- ½ Butternut Pumpkin
- 100 g shredded cheddar cheese, or your preferred cheese
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 50 g sour cream, to dress and serve
- Set the oven rack to the center position and preheat to 200ºC
- Wash and thoroughly dry the butternut pumpkin. Use a large spoon to remove the seeds. If desired, wash, separate and dry the seeds for roasting later.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or baking paper and coat or spray it with olive oil.
- Brush the flesh of the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place it cut side down on the baking sheet. Set the timer and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the pumpkin from the oven dish. Use a spoon to dig out some space for the caponata, quinoa, and rice (remember that the stuffing will fill above the pumpkin surface). Dust the pumpkin with some ground cinnamon and paprika and sprinkle with brown sugar, then coat the pumpkin with olive oil.
- Open the pack of Eggplant Cannellini Bean Caponata together with a pack of pre-cooked (90-second) quinoa and brown rice. Use the quinoa/rice to line the cavity in the pumpkin, then add the caponata, and top with grated cheese. Then return the pumpkin to the oven for around 25 minutes, until a knife can easily pierce into the flesh.
- This product is included in the CooksClub Designer Menus based on taste testing, or verified ratings, or consumer awards. Quality and taste can vary from time to time. Feel free to add your own comment on your level of enjoyment of this product.
- Check cooking instructions on each product in case variations in timing or process or other recommendations are added later.
- CooksClub do not receive income from the sale of supplier or supermarket products.
- See product packaging for nutrient information and make allowance for added ingredients.
- The image accompanying this recipe may be a serving suggestion and not necessarily a photo of this specific product.
CooksClub researches & presents recipes from across the web. Where the recipe is unchanged, the rights of the author are recognised and the full method or instructions are not shown. Follow the link to view the full recipe at its source.